Saturday, February 7, 2009

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

I am nearing the end of week 5 of my new and improved weight loss journey and have been quite proud of my progress so far. At my week 4 weigh-in, I had lost just slightly less than 10 pounds (9.8 to be exact). I have starting to actually enjoy and look forward to exercise (boy, would my old high school gym teacher be shocked to hear that). I still have a long way to go, but I can already see small changes in my body which only fuel my desire to keep going. Just when I think that I might finally have what it takes to beat the fat monster this time, I am faced with reality. In this instance, reality is my kitchen sink.

You might be wondering what a kitchen sink has to do with weight loss--nothing if you're an average person, but I'm not normal. My kitchen sink is currently packed to capacity with every dirty plate, bowl, fork, spoon and pyrex dish that I own. The laws of physics will simply not allow me to place another object in the sink without having my world come crashing down. Unfortunately, the sink is yet another reminder of how I've let my daily obligations be pushed aside in order to lose weight. I can feel myself becoming frustrated with the way I have let everything get out of control. Normally, this would be the time when I would throw in the weight loss towel.

I have always had a hard time successfully balancing several tasks at once. My full attention goes to the project at hand and the rest of my daily activities are left to pay the price. In the past 5 weeks, I have focused so much on healthy eating and exercising that I have had no time for housework, friends or other extracurricular activities. So, while I've been burning calories like a fiend, I have desperately been neglecting my other duties and things are starting to get out of control.

It just seems as though there are not enough hours in the day to get everything accomplished. I have a dear friend that has managed to lose nearly 100 pounds while working fulltime, chasing her toddler, finishing college and managing a household. What's my excuse? My excuse is that I'm full of excuses.

I need to find a happy medium--a way to continue with my weight loss efforts but not neglect my other obligations. Perhaps I need a time management course. Perhaps I need to hire someone to clean my house. Perhaps I need to put on my big girl panties and deal with it and find a way to make it happen because I don't have any other option this time around. I won't give up on my weight loss journey and I won't let my other obligations go to hell in a hand basket.

So, I'm going to go slip into my workout clothes and hit the pavement, but first I will be stopping by my kitchen sink to pay it some much needed attention.

2 comments:

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I love your post. I feel exactly the same way. I just got home from Sam's Club. We only had three diapers left today because I have been so focused on my weight loss. My poor kid. And now that I am home I want to exercise, wash dishes, run the dishwasher, get the kids clothes around for church tomorrow and go to bed. I think I need to take some of those time management classes with you :)

Pudgy Gal said...

Jessica,
I'm glad that I'm not alone in needing time management skills. I tip my hat to those of you that are able to balance children and weight loss because it's not easy
Pudgy Gal

Google